Friday, April 13, 2012

Believing in god lets people off the hook. 

The word of the Lord came to Jonah son of Amittai: “Go to the great city of Nineveh and preach against it, because its wickedness has come up before me.” But Jonah ran away from the Lord and headed for Tarshish. He went down to Joppa, where he found a ship bound for that port. After paying the fare, he went aboard and sailed for Tarshish to flee from the Lord. Then the Lord sent a great wind on the sea, and such a violent storm arose that the ship threatened to break up. (Jonah 1:1-4)

I'm not entirely sure what is being said.  But I'm guessing this is a critique of God as a "big daddy" who will set things right or, perhaps, God as an omniscient and micromanaging ruler who is ultimately responsible.

Does this cause some believers to transfer responsibility to God?  Probably, but not in my personal experience.

I have encountered many believers whose sometime passivity is cause for considerable guilt.  Guilt is a weirdly multi-pronged hook, hard to remove.

For many - guilty or not -  such passivity is perceived as a sin separating him or her from God.  In some cases this sense of sin motivates significant activity in order to re-claim God's favor, a motivation that most Christian theologians suggest only extends separation from God.

In quite a few cases the believer does not take action, is self-absorbed in guilt, and is unwilling to accept the grace of God.  It is a form of spiritual stasis, not just hooked but anchored.

In rather rare cases I have encountered grace-filled, guilt-free believers who are actively engaged in meaningful and measurable activity to serve their neighbors and God.  But while rare, I have actually known these people.  I have not met anyone who has articulated, "Well, it's awful, but it's God's will. So there's nothing I can do."

Last week I was stopped at a crowded intersection just before an interstate entrance ramp.  Weaving between three lanes of cars was a man who had lost both forearms.  In one of the metal clamps that had replaced each hand was a McDonald's cup extended to receive cash.

I was glad the light changed before he arrived at my car.  I did not want to be in relationship with him.

A few weeks ago in Philadelphia I passed a man begging outside a 7-11.  Without really thinking about it, I bought him a sandwich, drink, and a cookie. He smiled big and said "You're the man."  I made eye contact,  I smiled, but I did not say anything and walked on.  I did not know how to be in relationship with him.

As a matter of belief, I understand I am in relationship with each of these men and every fellow creature.  That's quite a hook.

No comments:

Post a Comment