Friday, April 27, 2012

A universe with a god is a very different place than a universe without one. 

My God, my God, why have you forsaken me? Why are you so far from saving me, so far from my cries of anguish? My God, I cry out by day, but you do not answer; by night, but I find no rest. (Psalm 22:1-2

According to Matthew's gospel the first words of this psalm were the last words of Jesus on the cross.

God is God.

The universe is the universe.  Or, I expect, the universes are the universes.

In each universe the preconditions are set, the potential in place.  Action unfolds. Some potentialities emerge, others recede.  I understand God is the ultimate cause.  The immediate causes are various and variable.

In this universe - I can imagine different realities - God's reign is a matter of our choice.

If we are in an open and vulnerable relationship with God, if we make ourselves knowable to God, our choices will be different than outside such a relationship.

From such choices unfold very different potentialities.

No comments:

Post a Comment