Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Why does it matter whether god exists or not? 

“I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing. If you do not remain in me, you are like a branch that is thrown away and withers...“As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Now remain in my love. If you keep my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have kept my Father’s commands and remain in his love. I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete. My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you... (John 15:5-6,9-12)

Each day I try to deepen my relationship with God, everyday I seek to draw more from the vine.

Each day I seek to become more like Jesus.

Each day I try to more closely align my living with fundamental principles of reality.

Each day I seek to become more fully at home in the universe.

If I had a mind for math, I might study equations. Instead I study parables, poetry, and song.

I perceive the vine in Newton, Darwin, Heisenberg, Lemaître, Schrödinger, and more. 

But as green and fruitful as science has been, I vaguely discern something even more verdant.

Last year my still-young grape vine produced its first significant fruit. But just before the grapes could be eaten, they withered. While fruit, branch, and vine remained connected something was missing.

I see and celebrate the connections made by science. I remain alert for what may be missing.

Our time is distinguished by wonderful achievements in the fields of scientific understanding and the technical application of those insights. Who would not be cheered by this? But let us not forget that human knowledge and skills alone cannot lead humanity to a happy and dignified life. Humanity has every reason to place the proclaimers of high moral standards and values above the discoverers of objective truth. What humanity owes to personalities like Buddha, Moses, and Jesus ranks for me higher than all the achievements of the enquiring and constructive mind. What these blessed men have given us we must guard and try to keep alive with all our strength if humanity is not to lose its dignity, the security of its existence, and its joy in living. (Albert Einstein, 1937)


No comments:

Post a Comment